13 February 2006

Mí: Month

Blogger doesn't support Gaelic of any sort as a language for dates, so I was going through to figure out the months, with the intent of doing the headers myself,etc.

mí -- Month
míonna -- Months
míosa -- of a month (genetive)

This is a feminine noun.

The actual months are:
  • January → Eanáir (anner)
  • February → Feabhra (fyowra)
  • March → Márta
  • April → Aibreán
  • May → Bealtaine (bal-tinyeh). A recent audiobook I listened to had this pronounced as 'bell-tane'. No! No!
  • June → Meitheamh (mehiv)
  • July → Iúil
  • August → Lúnasa (loonassa)
  • September → Méan Fómhair (man fower)
  • October → Deireadh Fómhair (djerra fower)
  • November → Samhain (sowin). Not 'sam-hane', as I've also heard.
  • December → Nollaig
A few other phrases:

mí Márta → the month of March
An chéad lá den mhí → the first day of the month
Uair sa mhí → once a month
De réir na míosa → by the month
I gceann míosa → in a months time
I gceann gach trí mhí → every three months
Mí fhéilire → calendar month

No comments: